You did it! You grew a baby in your belly and you gave birth to your beautiful little one. You and your family are so excited to get to know this little one. And your baby is getting to know you…and the world around them. There is a lot going on in their little body. Here are 5 things that your baby wants you to know (from baby’s point of view:)).
- Skin-to-skin is one of my favorite things. I love being close to you (and daddy). It’s where I feel safest. I know you and I know your smell. I don’t want skin-to-skin to end when we leave the hospital. My whole first year I want to be held and snuggled skin-to-skin. It’s so good for both of us, and daddy too.
- The world is a scary place. When I was in your belly, everything was muted. I could hear your heart and your breathing, but now everything is so loud! There are sights, smells, and sounds that are brand new to me. Even wearing clothes feels strange. It can be very overwhelming. When it is, I just want to snuggle into you and go to sleep.
- Nursing is also one of my favorite things…and not just for eating. Sometimes I just want to be held and comforted. Sometimes I don’t feel well and nursing helps me feel better. Sometimes I am scared or tired and nursing will help me to sleep and calm down. When I am nursing, I can smell you and hear your heartbeat. It is very soothing.
- I have no idea what a schedule is. This newborn thing is hard (it must be hard for you too). I don’t know when bedtime is, or when to take naps. Sometimes I want to sleep for 4 hours, sometimes for 30 minutes. Give me some time and I will settle into a routine (but it probably will still change from time to time).
- You cannot love me enough. I won’t get “spoiled”. I promise that I won’t always need you as much as I do right now. Eventually, I will want to explore my world. I will have my own opinions and make my own choices, but right now you are the most important thing in the world to me.
The first couple of months of parenthood can be really hard. Everything from nursing to learning what your baby’s different cries mean. There will be days where you don’t think that you can take one more sleepless night. But you will make it. You only get these days with this baby once. Cherish them. Because your story matters.